It was important that some early and financially viable components of the demonstration areas in the Development Plan move forward. As part of the Strategic Plan the Downtown Revitalization Management Committee identified several important short-term projects for municipal budget consideration to initiate momentum and community support for the revitalization efforts.
On April 2014 council approved a group of action projects to kick-start the Downtown Revitalization process:
The Way-Finding Projects,the Ganaraska River Projects and the John Street and Walton Street Projects
The first projects to be undertaken were the Way-Finding Projects. They included a series of informational directory panels to help residents and visitors navigate to and from all the businesses and amenities within the historic HBIA. The proposed panels include a way-finding map, a business directory and comprehensive information on downtown events and activities. The map, directory and event posters are protected within weather-proof display cases, regularly updated, making information available 24/7/365.
- Lent Lane walkway at Walton St.
- Lent Lane walkway at Augusta St.
- Lent Lane walkway at Elias St.
- Ontario St. and Mill St. Gateway
- Walton St. and Mill St. Gateway
- Downtown Directional signage on Toronto Rd, Peter St. and Ontario St.
The Ganaraska River Projects (upcoming)
- River Railing upgrade with salmon theme panels;
- River fish sculpture(s) along River;
- Tree Planting between Waton and Ontario bridges
The John Street and Walton Street Projects (upcoming)
- Detail technical analysis and consultation with John Street business and building owners and other stakeholders such as Utility providers regarding lighting and streetscape elements.
- Detail design for Walton Street sidewalk repairs and upgrades prior to future construction phase.
- Consultation with third party service providers regarding future infrastructure projects.
- Detailed Design, consultation and technical analysis